WHETHER you are an experienced golfer or a rank beginner, ensuring you have a correct grip on the golf club is crucial.
Experienced golfers should regularly review their grip and setup whilst beginners need to understand the importance of getting the grip right from the outset.
As eight-time Major winner Tom Watson says on his best-selling “Lessons of a Lifetime” instructional DVD series:
“My good friend Jack Nicklaus once said if you have the proper grip and the proper setup can be taught, and I agree with him.”
Watson demonstrates his expert advice on the golf grip in the two edited clips from his instruction series below.
Watson’s main points on the golf grip are:
- With left hand on the club, turn hand over until you see two knuckles
- Point the “V” that forms between thumb and forefinger on your left hand, to your right shoulder
- Left thumb down right centre of shaft
- Right hand fits over top of left thumb
- Right thumb goes left of centre of shaft
- Point the “V” that forms between thumb and forefinger of your right hand , to right side of your chin
- Form a gap between right forefinger and left middle finger
- Three types of grip: the Vardon Grip, Interlocking Grip and Full Finger Grip
- Proper grip promotes proper “hinge” of wrist during swing
- Hands return to original address position at impact
- Grip Pressure 1: Use light grip pressure, firm enough to hold club, but not too tight
- Grip Pressure 2: Last three fingers of left hand and middle two fingers of right hand are pressure points
Australian Senior Golfer is offering Australian golfers a special deal on Watson’s much lauded two-disc DVD set and 16 page instruction booklet.
The professionally produced DVDs contains 44 lessons, averaging four minutes each, covering all aspects of the golf game and is aimed at golfers of all levels. It is clear, comprehensive and classic golf instruction.
Just use the promotion code “WatsonASG20%” at Watson’s official website for a 20 per cent discount plus free shipping.
The “Lessons of a Lifetime” Series is currently available in the US for US$49.95. Use our discount code and get the series for AUD$38.54* (*Depending on the daily exchange rate)Click here to go to Tom Watson’s official website. Use the special discount code: WatsonASG20% for a 20% discount plus free shipping to your door