Scott confirmed for 2013 Australian Open

Scott celebrates after his historic 2013 US Masters win. Aussie gof fans will get a chance to congratulate him personally this year at Royal Pines, Royal Melbourne and Royal Sydney.
Scott celebrates after his historic 2013 US Masters win. Aussie gof fans will get a chance to congratulate him personally this year at Royal Pines, Royal Melbourne and Royal Sydney.

REIGNING US Masters champion Adam Scott has officially added the 2013 Australian Open to his triumphant home schedule this year.

Scott has now committed to all three major Australian tournaments and is also likely to play the World Cup event wedged between them.

That will mean a gruelling four weeks in a row for the 32 year old but his every step will no doubt be lightened by the accolades of Australian golf fans keen to acknowledge his historic win at Augusta National in April.

Scott was announced this week as a confirmed starter for the Open, to be played at Royal Sydney Golf Club from November 28 – December 1.

He had earlier been confirmed for the Australian PGA Championship at the RAVC Royal Pines November 7 – 10 and the Australian Masters the following week at Royal Melbourne Golf Club (November 14 – 17).

The revamped and now richly prized World Cup is on at Royal Melbourne the following week (November 21 – 24, the week before the Australian Open) and it is widely expected Scott will also represent Australian in that event.

“Winning the National Open is the title every Australian golfer wants,” Scott said in a statement this week. The Queenslander won the title at the NSW Golf Club in 2009 and was sixth the last time it was played at Royal Sydney in 2006.

“We have a great sponsor in Emirates, a great course in Royal Sydney and I am sure the Sydney sporting public will come in great numbers to support the event. I look forward to competing and celebrating with them during the week,” he said.

PGA of Australia chief executive Brian Thorburn said Scott’s confirmation added to an already stellar field expected in the country this summer.

“We’re confident a number of international players will stay on after the World Cup to compete in the Australian Open, making for the perfect finale to the Australian golf season,” he said.

Seven boosts Australian golf coverage

In a further boost to the event and to golf in Australia generally, the Seven Network has confirmed it will broadcast the Australian Open live across all four days.

Seven already announced a few weeks back it would cover the Perth International and the Australian Masters in a new three year deal.

[Read: Seven in Aussie Masters TV Deal]


SHARE
Previous articleUS Champions Tour back in Chicago
Next articleEls win 26th European Tour title, Fowler top Aussie

Brian is a former Sydney journalist who didn’t have a skerrick of interest in golf till he hit his first ball at the age of 49 (and a half). Since then golf has just about overtaken his life. Brian founded Australian Senior Golfer in April 2008 and has since covered every Australian Open, Presidents Cups, World Cups and numerous other big men’s and women’s tournaments, spending days inside the ropes with the likes of Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, Rory McIlroy, Tom Watson, Greg Norman, Adam Scott, Jason Day, Karrie Webb, and many others. He has also played in, and reported on, amateur tournaments, particularly senior and veteran events, around the country. Brian is a member of the Australian Golf Media Association.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here