TOM WATSON recommends two main methods of aiming in his “Lessons of a Lifetime” golf instruction series.
The first he identifies as the Jack Nicklaus Method and the second the Goal Post Method.
- Pick a spot one or two feet in front of your ball directly in line with your target
- Get behind the ball to look at the spot
- Address the shot
- Set the club head down behind the ball and aim at the spot first, then look up at the target
- Look at the spot, then target, eyes back to the ball and swing
Goal Post Method
- Set left and right limit like American football goalposts (or above the crossbar on rugby goalposts) so you have a “width” to hit through, rather than an exact point of aim
Aim and Alignment Clip 2
In the following clip taken from the Lessons of a Lifetime DVD 1, Watson points out a further important aspect of aiming.
That is , that golf shots, like putts, often have a bend or break to them, so it is important to start your aim line NOT directly at the target but away from the target to allow for the movement of the ball in the air.
Tom Watson Lessons of a Lifetime Special Offer
Australian Senior Golfer is offering Australian golfers a special deal on Watson’s best-selling two-disc DVD set and 16 page instruction booklet.
The professionally produced DVDs contain 44 lessons, averaging four minutes each, covering all aspects of the golf game and is aimed at golfers of all levels. It is clear, comprehensive and classic golf instruction.
Just use the promotion code “WatsonASG20%” at Watson’s official website for a 20 per cent discount plus free shipping.
The “Lessons of a Lifetime” Series is currently available in the US for US$49.95. Use our discount code and get the series for AUD$38.54* (*Depending on the daily exchange rate)Click here to go to Tom Watson’s official website. Use the special discount code: WatsonASG20% for a 20% discount plus free shipping to your door