Ballesteros diagnosed with brain tumour

Five times major winner Seve Ballesteros has been diagnosed with a brain tumour after undergoing tests at a Madrid hospital.

“I inform you that after an exhaustive check that was realised at Hospital La Paz, a brain tumour has been detected,” the 51-year-old Spanish golf legend said in a statement issued by the hospital.

“During my career I was one of the best at getting around obstacles on golf courses. Now I want to be the best at confronting the most difficult match of my life with all my strength.”

Agence France-Presse reported Ballesteros will undergo a biopsy on Tuesday and then doctors will decide on a course of treatment.

He collapsed unconscious on Monday and was taken to the hospital where he remained in intensive care while doctors conducted tests.

Hospital officials released a statement on Friday confirming the Spaniard had suffered “a partial epileptic fit” but said he had left intensive care and was in “a stable condition.”

Ballesteros won the British Open in 1979, 1984 and 1988 and became the first European to win the Augusta Masters in 1980, a title he repeated in 1983.

He was an influential figure in the Ryder Cup, winning 20 points from 37 matches and captaining Europe to victory in 1997.

He collected 87 titles before knee and back problems forced him to retire last year.

Known for his flamboyant and imaginative style of play, he won one of his three British Open titles by playing a shot from a temporary parking lot.

 

Ballesteros recovering after surgery

(Posted 17/10/2008)

SEVE Ballesteros is reported to be in a stable condition after undergoing 12 hours of surgery to remove a brain tumour.

Doctors, who were scheduled only to perform a biopsy, took the decision to operate on the flamboyant Spanish golfer at Madrid’s La Paz hospital because of the seriousness of the situation. The operation was said have been “satisfactory”.

 

Previous articleDenis Dale over arch rival in senior match play
Next articleLeishman smashes field in maiden Nationwide Tour win
Brian is an award winning golf writer and is the founder and editor of Australian Senior Golfer. He is a former Sydney journalist who had little interest in golf till he hit his first ball at the age of 49 (and a half). Since then golf has just about overtaken his life. Brian founded ASG in April 2008 and has since covered every Australian Open, Presidents Cups, World Cups and numerous other big men’s and women’s tournaments, spending days inside the ropes with the likes of Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, Rory McIlroy, Jordan Spieth, Tom Watson, Fred Couples, Greg Norman, Adam Scott, Jason Day, Karrie Webb, and many others. He has also played in, and reported on, numerous amateur tournaments, particularly senior and veteran events, around the country. Brian is a member of the Australian Golf Media Association and won the award for Best News Report for 2016 - 2017

Leave a Reply