Aussie golfing legends Peter Fowler and Peter O’Malley will be looking for some new golfing opportunities on home soil after the European Tour confirmed the 2020 Staysure Tour season has been cancelled.
In a recent statement European Tour officials cited the demographic of the over-50 tour and the increased risks associated with coronavirus for the cancellation.
The main European Tour is set to return in Austria on July 9.
Confirming that all playing categories will be extended into the 2021 season, Head of the Staysure Tour Mark Apsland said that given the health risks associated with playing in a number of different countries a complete cancellation was the most appropriate decision.
“This decision was not taken lightly but we feel it is the most responsible course of action following consultation with all of our stakeholders, and taking into account feedback from our players around the complexities of international travel at the current time,” Apsland said.
“While professional golf is slowly returning with the necessary safety protocols, we have to recognise the additional risk associated with the age demographic of the Staysure Tour membership, alongside the challenges of implementing the requisite health strategy across the multiple territories we play in.”
The cancellation will see tour regulars Peter Fowler and Peter O’Malley looking for some new golfing gigs.
Fowler has won seven times in 156 starts on the Staysure Tour to go with the 517 career appearances on the main European Tour.
Fowler won the MCB Tour Championship-Seychelles tournament in December last year at 60 years of age, seeing him finish fifth on the 2019 Order of Merit. He has only once finished lower than seventh on the money list since 2011.
O’Malley made seven starts on the Staysure Tour in 2019 to be 41st on the Order of Merit, his best result a tie for second at the Swiss Seniors Open last July.
Original source material: PGA of Australia